Who are we looking for?
The MPA program strives to attract a strong and diverse group of students for each year's entering class. The on-campus MPA class size typically ranges between 22–29 students per cohort; MPA@UNC (online format) cohorts are typically 15–20 students in size. Graduate school standards include the following, as well as an expressed commitment to public service via professional and/or volunteer experience:
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- 3.0 or higher undergraduate GPA and generally strong academic record
- Minimum of three semester hours credit in American government and politics (Note: this is not a requirement to apply for admission but would need to be completed prior to the first day of Fall classes if offered admission). See Prerequisites page for more details.
- 50th percentile or above for verbal and quantitative scores on standardized test
- Successful interview with the Admissions Committee
Holistic Review Process
The MPA Admissions Committee takes into account the candidate's full dossier during the application assessment. The list of standards above are individual data points used in the review and, therefore, are not hard-line minimums. If you should fall below these standards, you are encouraged to submit an addendum for explanation in your application as well as address related issues during the interview, if selected. Ultimately, we aim to admit students predicted to be academically successful during the program and have the potential to become public service leaders after the program.