You are here
Professional Work Experience
The purpose of the MPA Professional Work Experience Practicum (PWE Guide) is to provide students an opportunity to apply and refine learning, further develop their competencies in a public service work environment and to gain additional experiences for career and professional development.
Following the work experience, each student produces a written product as part of the PUBA 745 Professional Work Experience Course that reflects on and further develops those competencies.
Five competencies must be addressed in the paper:
- Analyze organizations and their environments from multiple perspectives, and apply that analysis in assessing alternative courses of action.
- Know and apply public service values, legal, and ethical principles.
- Create and use project management and program plans.
- Read, listen, and think critically.
- Write and speak clearly, concisely, and unambiguously.